After a flood, sewage and other unsafe materials may be inside and around your home. Proper clean-up after a flood will keep you and your family safe.
Always wash your hands after cleaning flood-affected items.
Keep children and pets away from the area until it is properly cleaned
Always wear rubber gloves, rubber boots, long pants, goggles and an N-95 respirator when cleaning flood-affected areas
Help the drying process by turning on fans, air conditioning and dehumidifiers
Clean, then disinfect hard surfaces with a mixture made with 1 cup bleach in 5 gallons of water OR 1 cap-full of bleach in 1 gallon of water
Hard surfaces can include flooring, concrete, metal furniture, wood, moldings, countertops, sinks and plumbing fixtures
Note: bleach that is labeled “color-safe” does not contain chlorine and will not clean items
Follow manufacturer’s directions for cleaning appliances
To disinfect toys, soak them in a mixture made with 1 cup bleach in 5 gallons of water
Let toys air dry
Always wash your hands after cleaning flood-affected items
When in doubt, throw it out.
Any item that cannot be cleaned should be thrown away. Some things that cannot be cleaned include:
Carpets and carpet padding
Foam or rubber items and toys
Any drywall or insulation within a foot of the waterline
Mold can grow after an area has been wet for 2 or more days. Wearing safety gear will keep you safe from contact with mold. Use an N-95 respirator and keep windows and doors open to avoid breathing in mold.
Water coming in to your faucets and appliances may not be safe to use. Until your water is tested and is found to be safe, do not use it. Always use clean water or bring your items elsewhere to clean them.
Children should not be allowed to play in or around flood waters. Flood water can contain sharp objects that can lead to injuries. Do not allow children to play with toys that were exposed to flood waters if they have not been properly cleaned.
If you are injured or become sick, seek medical help.