Health care providers must report all animal bites to the local Lincoln County Health Department at 636-528-6117.
For basic information on what to do in the case of an animal bite and for more information about rabies, please visit the website for the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Please be aware that Lincoln County does not have an animal control authority, although some municipalities (City of Troy, for example) do have animal control within city limits.
In brief, if you are bitten:
- Don’t panic.
- Wash the wound thoroughly and vigorously with soap & lots of water.
- Call your doctor immediately.
- If possible, confine or capture the animal under a large box or other container if that can be done safely.
- If the animal cannot be contained and must be killed to prevent escape, try to do so without damaging the head so rabies testing can be done, if needed.
- Report the bite to the Health Department at 636-528-6117. Dog bites should also be reported to the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department.